Appreciating the little things this Christmas. Gavin is talking unbelievably more than last year. It's not really the amount of words he knows or uses, but more the spontaneous, conversational, "natural" language that has been such a change for him. He initiates conversations with us, participates in family discussions and looks into our eyes when talking with us so much more than he used to. He is asking questions to understand things better, asking WHY questions, and answering our WHY questions more consistently (this is all HUGE!!!!) These things can all be difficult for him when his anxiety increases and he is in more unfamiliar situations or with less familiar people, and sometimes even in familiar circumstances.
This Christmas, Gavin was into giving and getting presents more than ever before I think. He'd give others their presents and say "grandpa, this one's for you" or as he's opening it, "what is it? what is it?" He enjoyed celebrating Gramz and Uncle BJ's birthdays (both on Christmas) and he used to CRY at the birthday song. Over the past 2 to 3 years he went from crying at the song being sung in a group to bringing the cake to the table and starting the singing himself. Mom (Colleen) joins in SOOOOOO off key, but with a huge amount of pride and happiness.
Tonight at the LARGE Neary family Christmas party (we're talking about 80 people or more, including at least 30 young children), he did exceptionally well. He walked in with confidence and comfort, quickly became interested in the toys there and as we entered the big gym (it's held at a parish church in Toledo) he ran onto the basketball court and started "trying" to play basketball with his cousins. He pretty much just chased them around, trying to get the ball but was playfully interacting with them and having a ball!! He'd run over to us, look right in my eyes and smile up at me...I think just as a little check in with mom. He participated in the huge "grandkids" photo of 30 or more kids of all ages sitting in rows on bleachers, hamming it up for the camera as we tried to make all the kids smile and look in the same direction. He zoned out at dinner, which is not unusual, but did ask mom after dinner, "mom, what do we have for dessert?" And he was ready to play in the gym again when mom and dad were leaving for another event and he and Samuel got to stay with Gramz and Grandpa for the rest of the party.
This experience tonight was so amazing b/c Gsvin started the day pretty rigid, controlling, and not interacting with a couple of our very good friends who he enjoys typically and sees much more often than some of these cousins. It just reminds me again...never to doubt, never to judge, remember to always BELIEVE, and you never know when you might be right or might be surprised!!! Our special children are so amazing. They have many differences, which CAN make their lives feel challenging, confusing, and scary. But we can also give a supportive, loving, non-judgmental foundation to increase his confidence and willingness to attempt the most difficult tasks. Gavin's potential is limitless. I am so thankful for our Son-Rise Program and the Autism Treatment Center of America for helping me to truly see and believe this.
It's really been a great Christmas season, with many special gifts. I hope all of you have had a great Christmas too and have many happy moments in the new year!!
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love reading your blogs about how everything is going with Gavin and your whole family! I know I told you this summer some of the similarities that Jack has with Gavin, the sensory things and speech problems(expressive/receptive) and I enjoy hearing all the great moments you are having through your Son-Rise experience. All the little things in life with kids means so much!! Jack and I have to do "word charades" a lot when I don't know what he is trying to tell me. He gets very frustrated and just can't retrieve the word he wants but we can usually get there after several minutes of working through descriptions ("Mommy the round things I like to eat" . . . that was a hard time figuring that one:-) Jack has great support at school with 4 different teachers that work with him. I don't know what I would do without their knowledge or support. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I love reading your blogs and I am so glad you have the Son-Rise program in your life. I am going to be in Toledo Dec 29-31 if you want to get the kids together and play. If it is too short notice and you are busy I will let you know next time I will be there. My parents are in Perrysburg so we are up there quite frequently. I think Jack and Gavin would get along quite well, as well as with Sam and Mia in the mix!! Take care! You are an amazing mom and woman!!
ReplyDeleteBecky Terry