At our team meeting for our Son-Rise Program one week ago we each came up with our special "want" for Gavin in the next 30 days, something we wanted him to do, to share with us, or to achieve. The team was great about participating and sharing their wants or hopes. They all had to do with developing a deeper connection and relationship with Gavin. We are so grateful for the willingness of our "child facilitators" to challenge themselves to grow and learn while they assist Gavin in his own growth and learning.
I am so happy and amazed that my want happened so quickly!! A great reminder that we should never doubt, diminish, or disregard any hopes or dreams we have for ourselves or our children.
I had wanted Gavin to spontaneously and intentionally say "I love you mom" and give me a hug or kiss. Not something scripted, something in response to my comment, or something I prompted him to say. Just his own heartfelt words to me. Well, two days in a row these words have been spoken, with hugs, kisses, and looking right into my eyes. Once was out of the playroom and once was in the playroom. Today Gavin also spontaneously kissed me and showed his appreciation for our fun time in the playroom together. It was so natural, loving, and unexpected... it was beautiful.
I also have to say that I am challenging myself in our Son-Rise Program to be more spontaneous and uninhibited. Gavin and I BOTH wore headband antlers into Kroger yesterday after being reindeer and singing "Rudolf" together in the playroom. He was adorable in his antlers and really wanted me to keep mine on too when we went into the store. So I figured we'd give some people something to smile, laugh, or talk about on their ordinary trip to the grocery store. What else could I do in response to him answering that "being reindeer" was his favorite part of the playroom yesterday? Each day I am thankful for our Son-Rise Program, every step we take toward recovery, and the gift I have been given in my amazing, smart, funny, loving, and beautiful son Gavin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great stories! Thanks for sharing! Gave me a great smile. :o)
ReplyDelete